The long awaited wait is finally over. After a long struggle and several discussions and oppositions, Cannabis will be legal as of October 17th in Montreal. Ever since Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that he wanted to make Cannabis legal in Canada, it’s been all people can talk about. What will this mean for our generation? What are the laws that will be put in place to protect the residents of Canada? Where will it be sold? When will it become legal? It’s been a series of questions one after another and people are anxious to get the answers. Finally, after a long debate and several discussions, it’s happening. Legalization of Cannabis will be happening in Montreal as of October 17th, 2018.
So, here are 10 facts you should know about the Cannabis Act :
- You must be of legal age to buy, possess or use cannabis.
- There are strict penalties under the Cannabis Act if selling or providing it to people under the legal age.
- It’s illegal to take cannabis across the Canadian border.
- You must store cannabis away from children and pets.
- Driving while under the influence of cannabis is a serious criminal offense.
- Cannabis will be available for purchase at SAQ.
- Purchase of Marijuana will also be available at the Société Québécoise du Cannabis (SQDC) run stores and online.
- Legal cannabis has an excise stamp on the product labels that appear in different colors for each province and territories.
- Access to cannabis for medical purposes will continue to be provided under the Cannabis Act, but it must be authorized by a healthcare practitioner.
- You must be aware of the health effects that cannabis can have on you so you can use it responsibly.
If you want to get more information about the Cannabis Act and its health effects, you can visit www.Canada.ca/Cannabis or call 1-800 O Canada.